I know firsthand what it’s like to KNOW how much value you give your clients and the potential there is for you to change someone's life but struggle to attract the right people. When I first started a coaching business 4 years ago I felt like I had to convince people to work with me. But there was one big, all-encompassing strategy that I wasn’t getting right from the outset which was causing the drought in clients and the poor quality of leads I was getting.
My big mistake?
I was marketing to too many different people!
This realisation sent me into an obsessive learning frenzy and I made it my day job to figure out what made a business fail and what made a business thrive.
The biggest reason why businesses fail is that they don’t position themselves to their market as needed. Or more poignantly, the market doesn’t see a need for them! The trick is to position yourself as the go-to expert for solving a genuine problem and/or achieve a specialised result for a certain type of person.
For example, I was recently asked a question from someone who was struggling to generate enough great quality leads into their business on how to solve this problem.
This person described their current lead generation process as:-
- Providing a quiz, delivering the results of that quiz and asking the prospect to book in a call. With some value emails thrown in to warm up the prospects that need a bit more swooning before they book the call.
To be honest on paper it’s a great process! Simple and effective!
However, not everything is as it seems. Even though this person has a great process, the content isn’t bringing in the number of leads nor the quality of people they want.
So there is a problem in two areas:-
- Lack of relevant wanted results. I.e. the content is not ‘speaking’ to anyone in order to create that need to click to find out more.
- Lack of pre-qualification of prospects. I.e. Due to the first problem - the tyre kickers and freebie hunters with time on their hands are slipping through the net resulting in the calls being of low quality with less than perfect prospects.
- The traffic coming in via the quiz is on the generalised topic of Stress. Stress is such a vast topic. If it's vague like 'Are you suffering from Stress? find out here...' you will be lacking in clicks coming through. Many people will suffer from stress, the trick in this scenario is to get specific on the context of who, for example - parents/business owners/corporate execs etc.
- By creating a micro-niche you can get more specific on the ideal client and thus start prequalifying from the outset to get the right people into the funnel. So instead of stress an example could be 'Suffering from work overload? Take this quiz to find out what personality trait is causing you the most stress and how to fix it!
- Plus, you'll get more click-throughs as the quiz will start to speak to someone in particular, resulting in more engagement. Once they're in, your value can be directed to their specific problem and their specific outcome with context so that they truly feel like you're speaking to them.
- The value will be given in the results after they’ve taken the quiz so it will be imperative to make sure this blows their socks off and to make sure that you personalise the results as much as possible for their specific situation.
People don't want national newspaper horoscopes that can apply to anyone and everyone, so getting as specific as possible in your micro-niche will absolutely help.
- Micro-niching is the first step to pre-qualifying and attracting perfect prospects.
- Get specific on 'who' you’re speaking to, so you can find context and allow the person to self-identify.
- Grab their attention by tapping into their desired results to encourage more interest from the right people.
- Also, by including a prequalifying questionnaire before they book a call so that it sieves out the less than perfect.